Get the most relevant image, or the appropriate embedded media player, or the page screenshot of any external link in your post (similar to what you get when you share a page on Facebook or Google+).
The Super Link Preview plugin supports:
- shortened links (for example t.co or bit.ly links)
- media content (all formats natively supported by WordPress – https://codex.wordpress.org/Embeds)
- OpenGraph images
- page screenshots
If the external link points to a supported media, this plugin embeds the appropriate player in the page (through the WordPress native oEmbed function – https://codex.wordpress.org/Embeds).
If no supported media is found, the plugin embeds the og:image specified in the page’s metadata.
If the no og:image is found, the plugin parses the target external link to find the most relevant image, discarding images smaller than specified size and standard ad banner sizes.
If not a relevant image is found, the plugin takes a screenshot of the linked page (through a WordPress public service located at http://s.wordpress.com/mshots/v1).
You can overrule the workflow and force the plugin to take the linked page’s screenshot with the forceshot dashcode attribute.
[link-preview url=”link-to-website” forceshot=”false”]
The Super Link Preview plugin is compatibly with WordPress Multisite, just use the Network Activate feature to enable the shortcode on every site. If you only want to enable the shortcode for a specific site, activate the plugin for that site only.
- Install easily with the WordPress plugin control panel or manually download the plugin and upload the folder ‘link-preview’ to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
Contributors & Developers
“Super Link Preview” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Interested in development?
Release date: December 3, 2014
- Bug Fix: Rich editor shortcode button
- Bug Fix: Removed WARNING notices when inserting new posts or broken remote images urls
- Initial public release to the WordPress plugin repository